Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Yoga on Fenwick Rooftops (Berkeley, California, USA)



By: Geographies of Peace

My furrowed brow bends with the heat of angry thoughts
The San Francisco skyline perfectly clear in the distance
Clouds rise slowly like a helium filled balloon
White ships carrying dreams of rain
I stand on my rooftop trying to find peace in the Sierra Blue sky

The sky awakens as my groggy eyes see through a sleepy haze
I drink my chai while looking out at the colorful expanse of rooftops
Berkeley, Oakland, San Francisco
Streets march towards the Bay
Buildings at careful attention
Birds chat about the weather
Soaring over my head to meet friends
The 1 Bus trundles up my street
My body warms with the heat of chai and buttered toast

I mix incense ash and water creating a grey paste
Slowly my ring finger draws an Om sign on the ledge
The metal stained yellow from many iterations
I roll out my mat and begin to perform Surya Namaskar*
The sun’s heat warms my body as I bow before its elegance

My rooftop is a sacred space for me.
I perform prayers. I meditate.
I go there to think and calm my mind.
To enjoy a beautiful day and sun bathe.
I go there to begin my day.
*(Translation: Welcome the Sun – a series of yoga positions)

No comments:

Post a Comment